Maintaining a secure IT network is an ongoing initiative for today’s modern businesses. We all know how important it is for companies in Morgantown to protect the sensitive data that makes your organization thrive—especially in age of nonstop data breaches. This is why network security needs to be an essential component of the overall security plan for any business.
If you are wondering about the security of your company’s network, take a look at some of these security features that should be in place.
- Reset passwords—and beef them up. Older passwords are more likely to get cracked. When you create new passwords, make sure they are at least eight characters in length, use at least one upper-case letter, one number, and one special character.
- Disable inactive accounts. Don’t let unused accounts remain open—these are doorways into your network. Be sure to delete any account immediately after an employee leaves your organization.
- Update your servers and software. Operating system updates usually come out monthly. Many of these updates include security patches and critical updates to protect against potential vulnerabilities in your system. A network monitoring solution can help you keep up-to-date.
- Don’t forget about antivirus software. This may seem obvious, but many companies tend to overlook this security component. Make sure all of your antivirus subscriptions are current and installed on all compatible devices.
- Back up your data. Whether it’s offsite, cloud-based, or both, just be sure to have a backup system in place to protect you in the event of a disaster.
- Use WPA2 encryption. This type of encryption needs to be in place to keep your Wi-Fi connection secure. Without WPA2, you leave the accessibility to your network wide open for anyone to connect.
- Train your employees. Your employees should be knowledgeable on how to avoid potential hacking scams (especially phishing scams through emails), and they need to know exactly what you expect of them as they navigate in and out of your network.
- Lock up your hardware. We worry so much about all of the potential of digital threats that we sometimes forget about our physical surroundings. Make sure all of your essential hardware is locked away. Direct access to certain hardware can pose major threats to the security of your data.
It’s important to constantly update and monitor your network security. Contact Hart Office Solutions today for more information on how to improve your Morgantown-based business’s network security.